VICE Tonic, Los Angeles, CA | March 2017-present
Freelance Writer, Contributor
- Pitch and report original stories covering health, sexual education, and mental health: https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/contributor/monica-luhar
Sapphire Dance & Fitness Studio, San Gabriel, CA | December 2016-June 2017
Freelance Copywriter and Communications Manager
- Brainstorm health, wellness, and fitness workshops for clients
- Write and produce engaging copy for promotional material (brochures, social media, etc)
KCET-LinkTV, Burbank, CA | May 2014-December 2016 Site and Social Media Editor
- Manage all multimedia operations for KCET’s Emmy award-winning TV show
- Upload, draft, and publish web extras and episodes using Drupal Content Management System
- Select field production photos, and create show teasers and loglines for broadcast segments
- Curate, schedule, draft, and publish daily social media copy; manage monthly social media budget; responsible for also managing social media budget for grant-based environmental TV specials.
- Edit, upload, and encode web videos using Adobe Premiere Pro; retrieve closed captioning files
- Curate, edit and upload weekly Apple TV and Roku channel playlists via Brightcove
- Responsible for tracking all acquired broadcast segment contracts.
- Produced digital copy for Election and Drought Specials; coordinated promos with Public Relations
- Reported and pitched 60+ web stories for “Agenda,” news and policy blog for KCET
- Migrated thousands of pages of kcet.org digital content during site-wide content migration
- Assisted with launch of Coastal Trail KCET.org project/assisted executive digital producer with Google Fusion tables
NBC News Asian America, Los Angeles, CA | July 2014-present | Freelance Writer, Contributor
- Pitch and report original features and full spreads for national vertical catered to Asian American news. (1-2 million per month reach).
- Gather multimedia content (tweets, photographs, videos); conceptualize digital layout with editor.
- My stories have been consistently promoted on NBC News’ Facebook and Twitter pages: (6 million+ subscribers).
- Collaborate with public relations, respond to press release pitches, and schedule high-profile interviews.
Southern California Public Radio (KPCC), Pasadena, CA | June 2013-May 2014 Digital News Assistant, Web Production and Engagement
- Wrote engaging and informative copy for KPCC’s mobile, web, and social media platforms daily.
- Reported 80+ original news, features, and entertainment previews under strict deadlines.
- Monitored breaking news feeds: AP Exchange, CNS and posted accurate and timely news stories.
- Served as fill-in social media, mobile and digital show producer.
- Produced 30-60 second “cut and copy” posts for radio; transcribed interviews and produced show teasers for segments airing on KPCC’s two shows: AirTalk and Take Two.
- Selected Getty Images and AP photos for KPCC’s iPad app and website; uploaded content to KPCC’s Content Management System.
- Copyedited headlines, captions and stories; prepared newsletter through Eloqua and MailChimp.
India-West Newspaper, Greater Los Angeles area, CA | November 2011-May 2014 Staff Reporter, Web Content Producer, Editorial Assistant
- Published 150+ original reported articles in print and online; copyedited headlines, captions using AP Style.
- Managed India-West’s website; posted AP, IANS wire stories using Content Management System.
Freelance Reporter, Los Angeles, California | June 2011-present
- Published 200+ web and print stories for various hyperlocal, weekly, national newspapers, and online media sites: NBC News Asian America, Patch.com, Alhambra Source, Southern California Public Radio, OC Weekly, New America Media, Pacific Citizen, and others.
UC Irvine Career Center, Irvine, California | September 2008-June 2011 Student Resource Assistant/Peer Consultant
- Assisted students with career resources; conducted mock interviews with students; critiqued, edited resumes.
- Scheduled counseling appointments, set up booths during Career Fests and Fairs and connected employers to students.
- Handled cash, check, and credit payments for UCI’s job database services.
University of California, Irvine – B.A., Literary Journalism June 2011